Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
500 Greatest Songs of All Time! (Read 1153 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

500 Greatest Songs of All Time!
Nov 19th, 2004 at 6:16pm

according to a Rolling Stone special edition that hits news stands today, the #1 honor goes to Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone.

#2-"(I Can't Get No)Satisfaction-Rolling Stones
#3-Imagine-John Lennon
#4-What's Going On-Marvin Gaye
#5-Respect-Aretha Franklin
#6-Good Vibrations-Beach Boys
#7-Johnny B. Goode-Chuck Berry
#8-Hey Jude-Beatles
#9-Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana
#10-What'd I say-Ray Charles

#500-More Than a Feeling-Boston

any thoughts?
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2004 at 8:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time!
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 7:05pm

Uh......"Feels Like Teen Spirit" is in the top ten?  I don't get that.    I wonder how they came up with these?  It would be interesting to see the whole list.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 1:25am

Those are all great tunes, and I have no problem with the Nirvana tune. I think "Nevermind" is one of the best rock albums of all time. You could debate the top ten forever. There are just too many great songs to narrow it to a top ten, but the credibility problem I see with this list is that a Boston song made the top 500. They are horrid. Same goes for Styx, Journey, Foriegner, or Heart. Think of all the other REAL rock music that was being released at the same time, most of which got ignored, like the Ramones, Elvis Costello, Iggy, The Damned, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, The Flamin Groovies, and of course the Sex Pistols, just to name a few. I wonder how many of those made the top 500.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 2:35am

AMEN, oldfriend, I second that!  (and although I do kinda like Boston from a guilty-pleasures-from-High-School-days standpoint...I would never put them in any greatest songs category.)
The Nirvana song "Smells Like Teen Spirit", may be the greatest rock song of our time (at least of the past 20 or so years).  It entirely, single-handedly changed rock music.  And it still sounds great after 15 years and about 2000 listens.

I haven't seen the rest of the list yet, but did anyone notice that Rolling Stone Magazine chose a song called "Like a Rolling Stone" as #1 and a song by the Rolling Stones as #2?   Tongue

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 4:34pm

Oldfriend, you are right.  You could debate the top 10 til doomsday.  That is why I was curious how they came up with the list.  While I like "Smells Like Teen Spirit", I personally wouldn't consider it in the top 10 (or 20).   What would your top 10 list be oldfriend?  Brew?  Anyone?  I am going to think on it awhile, and post my list.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 8:23pm

i need to see their whole list too before i can add my opinion here.  at first glance though, i tend to disagree with their pick for #1 and a couple of others that made the top 10.  

thanks brew, i corrected feels to smells.  see what happens when i post so early in the morning that i am hardly even awake!

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 7:06am

i will third that brew and old friend.....those list have always puzzled me and not taking anything away from those artist but it just seems to be so odd.....nevermind....diffenent a top ten all time.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2004 at 10:23pm

oldfriend, the ramones, sex pistols, elvis costello, iggy and the stooges all showed up on this list.

all in all though, the list is very skewed.  come on, dolly parton-jolene??

The Clash had #15 London Calling, #228 Should I Stay or Should I Go, #292 Train in Vain, #361 Complete Control, #430 White Man in Hammersmith Palais

Iggy/Stooges had #147Lust for Life, #438 I Wanna Be Your Dog, #468 Search & Destroy

Ramones had #92 Blitzkrieg Bop, #144 I Wanna Be Sedated, #457 Sheena is a Punk Rocker

Sex Pistols had #53 Anarchy in the UK, #173 God Save the Queen

Detroit's own Mitch Ryder even made the list coming in at #428 with Devil With a Blue Dress.

? and the Mysterians made it to #210 with 96 Tears

other groups with a song or two that made the list were the Animals, the Left Banke, Elvis Costello, the Pixies, the Kinks, Them, the NY Dolls, Mott the Hoople, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Procal Harum, Hendrix, the Police, Bowie, the Pixies, and a lot of Motown acts!

Paul Revere and the Raiders even squeaked in at #400 with Kicks!!  that was a great song!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.