Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Beatles Box-Set (Read 335 times)
Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

New Beatles Box-Set
Nov 13th, 2004 at 10:40am

Hey gang.Something very cool is being released next Tuesday.The first 4 American Capitol Records Beatle albums are being released on CD.Some of you other Beatle-Maniacs know that American and British releases were very different back then.Music purists hate it,but the first few Beatle albums were released in stereo.I'm happy to report that the new Box-Set will have both the stereo and original mono recordings for each song on all the CD's.I myself am looking foward to hearing the stereo versions for the first time on CD,since that is the way I first heard them as a young lad.Check it out.I'm sure it is a "Must-have" for any Beatle fan.

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Re: New Beatles Box-Set
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 8:55pm

yes i heard about this last week.  it sounds very cool.  someplace down in my basement i have at least 2 of those first four original lp's from when they were originally released.  now this news has prompted me to go on a mission and search for them and give them a listen. 
cant wait to buy this box set!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 12:36am

The early american Beatles albums on Capitol were actually only mixed in stereo with the exception of a few tracks which were reprocessed fake stereo from the english mono mixes. The early Capitol albums which were released in mono are not true mono mixes. They are simply the stereo mixes collapsed down to one channel. I am not getting that excited about this box set for the simple reason that I have had the amreican albums on cd with beautiful artwork for some time. Plus the fact that the first four english albums which were legitimately released on cd in the 80s sound kind of crappy to me. There is a guy who goes by the name of "Doctor Ebbett" (put that in a search engine to find out about him or go to  www.bootlegzone.com) who has released the entire Beatles english and american catalogue on cd including the stereo and mono mixes as well as the mobile fidelity sound lab versions. His cds blow away the legitimate releases. They sound like nice warm mint  vinyl with no surface noise whatsoever instead of the flat compressed sounding cds that have been released. What he has done is find sealed copies of every Beatles album that I mentioned. (He also has released many import Beatles albums on cd from other countries). He then transfers these albums to his hardrive. He uses certain programs to remove any hint of surface noise but still leaves the original sound of the vinyl intact. Of course a sealed album played for the first time will have hardly no noise anyway. He then burns a master from his computer. He also reproduces EXACTLY the original album cover artwork on very high quality super glossy paper. His cds look and sound better than the legitimate releases in my opinion. You probably know that the first 4 english albums released on cd in the 80s and to this day are released in mono only. Again, they sound kind of flat and compressed to me. I compared Doc Ebbett's first 4 mono albums on cd which again were made from sealed unplayed vinyl. The doc's cds sound like nice warm rich mint vinyl albums and are noticeably better sounding to me. Someone else may not notice a difference, but I do. I especially like his mono versions of Sgt Pepper and the White Album, which to me, sound more powerful in mono than they do in stereo. Again, just my opinion. My point to all of this is, that I will have to hear these new Capitol releases to believe that they didn't screw these up somehow by adding tons of compression or even maybe not using the original mixes. We'll see. I do have a soft spot for these american versions, reverb and all, because these are the albums that I grew up with and did not start collecting the english versions(which had dramatically different mixes on the early albums as well as different track listings) until the early 70s. If anyone picks up the new box set, post your feelings about it here. I would be interested in hearing some other opinions.

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 1:50am

Oldfriend,thanks for the tip on Doctor Ebbett.I'll be sure to check it out.Also,thanks for putting into laymens terms the explanation of the "mixed in stereo" early Capitol albums.I was going to explain it,but I figured I'd just confuse people.I'm buying the box-set on Tuesday when it comes out,and I'll let you know what I think of it.
                  Cheers,
                               Kevin

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 11:07am

Wow, Oldfriend, that sure sounds intriguing!

I've never knew that there were any differences (and I've never had any Beatles albums, even though I love their music!) 

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 5:40am

It was pretty cool hearing the "mixed in stereo" versions after all these years.I hate to admit it,but I actually prefer them to the mono versions.This is definately a "must-have" for any Beatle fan,so put it on your X-Mas list !!
                                Kevin64

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.