Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Billie Joe Palmar? (Read 836 times)
Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Billie Joe Palmar?
Oct 29th, 2004 at 12:38am

Gang, I took my son to see Green Day this past weekend, and all through the concert I couldn't stop making a comparison ... in his black shirt and red skinny tie, and black spiked up hair, Billie Joe Armstrong was nearly a dead ringer for a young Wally Palmar. Interestingly, about 10 years ago Jello Biafra, while interviewing Green Day, told the band he thought their sound most resembled the Romantics. To which Armstrong said, "Beer commercial rock??" Ah, these kids today ... anyway, it isn't as convincing as it was in the live show, but take a look at the photo at the top of this fan site and you'll sort of see what I mean: www.greenday.net

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Re: Billie Joe Palmar?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 1:10am

That's cool......I kinda see it.

p.s.  I love Green Day.  They really rock live.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 7:02pm

if you scroll down and look at the cover of spin, i think that shot looks even more like wally if you take away the eye liner.
anyhow, thier new cd, american idiot is great!  i cant stop listening to it.  i liked them when they first came out, then i didnt like them for a long time but this cd brings me back to liking them.  one song on it reminds me so much of mott the hoople.  anybody remember them?

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 5:23am

The new CD "American Idiot" is brilliant.If you haven't heard it yet,run out and buy a copy,you won't be dissapointed.

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2004 at 2:57am

I agree -- American Idiot is incredible. I've been spinning it over and over since I got it three weeks ago.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 5:36pm

hey brew, any plans to see Green Day tuesday ??  They were just here this past Saturday but i couldnt make it.... Sad

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 8:24pm

I'd love to go see Green Day again...I've seen them the last 3 times they've been to town.  But tomorrow night, I'll be at the Bradley Center (right next door to the Arena where Green Day is playing) at a Marquette basketball game--I scored some free skybox tickets from work.  Too bad,  Sad  their shows are a blast.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 4:30am

Hey, hey!  My friend just got 2 free tix to Green Day tonight and I'm goin' with!   Smiley   Luckily, he'll be at the basketball game tonight too, and the concert is right next door...we'll miss the openers, but should make it over in plenty of time for Green Day.

Full report tomorrow, if anyone's interested.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 5:56am

wow brew!  i sure wish i had friends like yours!  i would love to hear how their show goes.  i heard that here in detroit they opened with american idiot and closed with time of your life.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 6:50am

We'll be looking forward to your report,  Brew!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2004 at 9:09pm

Yep, opened with "American Idiot" and then a rambling "Jesus of Suburbia".  Billie Joe darts around all night like a rat on speed...he's full of energy and entertaining as hell.  "King for a Day" morphed into a punked-up version of the old classic "Shout".  The highlight for me was when they recruited a guitarist, bass player and drummer out of the mosh pit up front to take the band's places for a whole song.  They got 3 teenangers who could really play, and then Billy Joe let the kid keep his guitar!  Green Day played for about 2 hours, including a 1/2 hour encore which included "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", a campy version of Queen's "We are the Champions" where they filled the arena with Super Bowl style confetti, "Time of Your Life", and then added a couple more songs for good measure.  Overall, a very entertaining show.  These guys are pretty comical, and the humor just adds to the fun.

You know, everyone's writing about how political their new stuff is, but it's really just the typical "don't listen to those old guys in charge, think for yourself" punk rock message.  I was happy that they didn't let any politics get in the way of good entertainment.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 2:58am

Sounds almost identical to the show they played here in Louisville, Brew. I really enjoyed the "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" encore because Billie Joe doubled the tempo during the instrumental parts of the song, giving it a kind of comical stop-and-start feel. And during the Queen cover, when he got to the spoken part -- "You brought me fame and fortune and everything that goes with it" -- he couldn't finish it because he started laughing. There's no denying those guys know how to have a good time -- and to show everyone else in the house a good time as well.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 9:24pm

There were a few moments when I could see a bit of Wally Palmar in Billie Joe, but generally Billie Joe is way too hyperactive for a good comparison.

And Billie Joe is a crappy harmonica player.  (Few can match Wally on the harp).

IP Logged

Lisa_G.
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 3:12am

I noticed the same resemblence...just a little bit!!!  I like GreenDay, gotta go get the new CD.  It's cool how we all seem to have the same tastes in music.  I just love their fast and hard way of rockin' out!!  That's the way I like it, baby!

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 4:02am

I am a huge Green Day fan. Bought tickets for the Detroit show the second the went on sale, and decided to get seats instead of GA. I was right on the side and man was it amazing. I saw Sugarcult and New Found Glory at Warped - Sugarcult played for about 20 mins, then New Found Glory played for 45 mins or so. New Found Glory rocked and rocked hard and were all over the stage and even went out into the crowd.

Green Day.. wow, first time seeing them. Amazing.... American Idiot is a must have CD for anyone, even if you arnt a punk fan - its just really amazing. They werent afraid to have extra musicians on stage.. one point 7 band members filled the stage. The first 25 mins of the show was all new stuff. They have so many hits of course they couldnt play all of them, but hearing so many new songs was well worth it.  They interact with the crowd so much, they even brought kids up on stage to let them play a song(and let the one kid keep the guitar!), not to mention the constant chants of "hey-ohh" and "1,2,1,2,3,4".

Here's the setlist:
American Idiot*
Jesus of Suburbia*
Holiday*
Longview
Hitchin a ride
Brainstew
Jaded
Are We the Waiting(with Chad from NFG)*
St. Jimmy(with Chad from NFG)*
Knowledge
Basketcase
She
King For A Day
Cover of the song Shout
Minority
Wake Me Up When Sept. Ends*
We are The Champions
When I Come Around
Blvd. of Broken Rreams*
Good Riddance(Time of your life)(played on an electric  distorted guitar.. a really neat twist)

*= songs off American Idiot

Bottom line, I dont care if you call yourself a "punk rock fan" or whatever, American Idiot is worth checking out(jump over to Amazon to hear some clips from it). While the lead single "American Idiot" is very punk-rockish, the CD is all over the place. Highlights include "Blvd. of Broken Dreams", "Letterbomb", "Homecoming" and "Jesus of Suburbia." Both "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming" are over 9 minutes long with each having 4/5 parts each. If you do buy it, be sure to listen to try to atleast once listen  to it in order and as much in one setting as possible(its only 58 or so mins long all together) but the songs all tell a story and musically and lyrically build on each other(for example a vocal line from one of the first songs reappears and a guitar riff in one of the latter songs).

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 6:22pm

wow andrew!  your review almost made me feel like i was at the show!  great job.
anyone have a favorite song from this cd?  mine is give me novacaine.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 2:25am

Tough to pick a fave, Bookies, 'cause my favorite changes from day to day. At the moment I'm really into "On Holiday," but it's hard to dismiss any of it. I'm also becoming more attached to the coda song, "Whatsername." Really a smooth, well arranged song.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:26am

Letterbomb/Homecoming/American Idiot are my top three picks.

For photos from all the dates on the tour: http://www.greendayconcerts.com/pix/meet/index.html

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.