Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Milwaukee Summerfest (Read 3966 times)
BrewCity
Ex Member

Re: Milwaukee Summerfest
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2004 at 5:01am

OK, last night was Retro Night...started off with an entertaining local band, 5 Card Studs.  Then saw Colin Hay of Men at Work...he played to a pretty big crowd, did a mix of obscure solo stuff and all of the Men at Work classics.  His band is pretty average, but his voice is still really uniquely cool.

Next was Pat Benatar.  She sounds and looks great, and her husband/guitarist Neil Giraldo has gotta be one of the most talented and underrated guitarists on the planet.  Her voice is as great as ever.  Some of those songs haven't aged so well, though.  Highlights were "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible", which was dedicated to our Armed Forces. 

We couldn't get a really close spot, so we migrated to the next stage to catch Loverboy.  We worked our way up to eventually the 5th row.  Loverboy's songs sounded strangely fresh and tasty, kinda like a bowl of deep fried cheeseballs.  Singer Mike Reno sounds EXACTLY like he did on record, but now he looks a bit like Porky Pig in a red maternity blouse.  And the guitarist looked about 75 years old.  The crowd was freakin' jubilant!  How could you not be..."The Kid is Hot Tonite" and "Hot Girls in Love"!!  At super high-crankin' hair-vibrating volume!  It was a time warp riot.

When they finished, we zipped down to see the end of the Gin Blossoms.  We only caught the last 4-5 songs, but they looked really relaxed and sounded really tight.  Their "The Cowboy Song" encore was sweet.

All that in one night.  And we missed Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Styx, the Fixx, and Kool & the Gang. 

I need to clone myself so I can be several places at once.   Wink   

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 3:26am

Wow...
sounds like you had a blast!!

I'm so jealous.....

IP Logged

Tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 12:49pm

Did anyone catch The Ataris'? I would love to know how Boys of Summer sounded live...and how was Rick Springfield (or need I ask...adorable as ever  Grin  ).

Lin

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:23pm

OK, Summerfest 2006 kicked off last night with some excellent bands.  Elvis Costello was there with his band the Imposters and New Orleans piano cat Allen Toussaint and the Crescent City Horns.  What a show!  Elvis played a mix of New Orleans tunes from his new record and a bunch of his old classics (Watching the Detectives, Alison, (Back to) Chelsea, Pump It Up, I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, etc.) and sounded great on pretty much all of them.  His trademark voice was in top form, the guitars were razor-sharp, and the crowd was completely jacked by pretty much everything he did.   After he finished, we moved on to catch the end of REO Speedwagon.  We heard "Ridin' the Storm Out" and "Roll With the Changes".  The crowd was pretty huge, so we were way in the back, but they actually sounded pretty good if you like that crap.  Then the music took a half hour break for a fireworks show over Lake Michigan.  When that ended, local boys the BoDeans hit the stage for a 2 hour lovefest.  Great crowd, everyone pretty much knew every word to every song. The band really seemed to enjoy themselves and soaked up lotsa energy from the audience.  (We had squeezed up to the 5th row by the end.) They played an hour past the supposed midnight Fest closing time, so I'm working on about 4 hours of sleep.  Bands I missed last night:  Pearl Jam, the Redwalls and Tom Petty.

I'll be back down there tonight to see what I can of:  Everclear, Blue October, Action Action, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cowboy Mouth, Pearl Jam (again) and Tom Petty (again).

Later this week:  Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, the Psychedelic Furs, the Go-Go's, All-American Rejects, Soul Asylum, Ray Davies, Joan Jett, Alice Cooper, CCR, Flogging Molly, Wilco, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Rock Kills Kid, Yellowcard, Pink, The Bangles, Panic! at the Disco, Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, etc. etc.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:53pm

Sounds like an awesome time!  Wish I didn't live so far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 4:09am

so what can we do to get the promoters to book the romantics for next year?
get us some contact info brew if you can!

IP Logged

Andrew

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 11:18pm

Every year I read about your reviews of Summerfest and every year I tell myself I need to go next year. How much does a ticket into the event cost?

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #22 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 4:53am

Andrew, It's $15 per day to get on the grounds and go to all the stages all day, noon to midnight, except for the Amphitheatre (Main Stage) act.  That one has added admission for reserved seats, but many of those shows also have a few thousand free lawn seat passes (day of show while they last).  Those tickets range from about $15 to about $75.  All of the bands I've seen this year were on the side stages, so they were included in the $15.  You can get advance 3-day passes for about $35.

Back to the music:

Friday I saw a nice little goth-pop band with a cute girl singer called Sid Maudlin.  They were followed by Action Action, a modern British new-wave band that I liked.  Later, I caught Blue October.  They were a little too poppy sounding for me, and the singer was kinda annoying, although his raspy Peter Gabriel/Rob Thomas voice was good.  Overall, they were worth an hour of my time.  After that, I caught the end of Everclear.  They and they crowd were having a good ol' time with about 100 dancing girls from the crowd up on the stage for a great cover of Tommy Tutone's "867-5309" to close out the show.  Bands I missed:  Cowboy Mouth, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dave Mason, Steppenwolf, Los Lonely Boys, and (on the Main Stage) Tom Petty & Pearl Jam.

Saturday, I went to see the Go-Go's.  All 5 original members, and aside from Belinda Carlisle (who plumped back up to her 1981 size), they looked and sounded as good as ever.  Belinda's voice hasn't changed, and I was pleasantly surprised that they played EVERY SONG FROM THE 1ST ALBUM in the first 45 minutes of the show!  After that they played their other hits, and everyone was happily whirling and pogo-ing around on top of the picnic tables.  Later, I caught a few songs of David Lee Roth.  His new band sounds pretty much just like 1980 Van Halen.  I heard "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and "Panama" and a few others.  I can't remember which songs--the beer was kickin' in by then.  He still rocks.  Bands I missed:  All-American Rejects, Hank Williams Jr., The Gufs, Susan Tedeschi, Temptations, and Paul Simon (on the Main Stage).

More later.  I gotta go.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 5:16am

Too bad you missed Susan Tedeschi!  She is amazing!  I have seen her twice.  Mostly at the beginning of her stardom about 10 years ago.  I would love to see her again.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #24 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 6:34am

I went down there to the 'Fest 8 of the 11 nights--it would take me an hour to review all of the great music I experienced.  Here's who else I saw at least part of last week:  Soul Asylym (AWESOME!), Joan Jett, Ray Davies (a musical genius--what a show--sounded like 1967!!), Psychedelic Furs, Bowling for Soup (annoying as hell--I could only take about 20 minutes), Flogging Molly, Foreigner, Mike Doughty's Band, Cheap Trick, Rock Kills Kid, Pink, Guster, Panic! at the Disco, Lucky Boys Confusion, and Electric Six (a Detroit band with a Milwaukee drummer).  On Sunday (closing night), I was on my way down there around 6 pm when a HUGE rainstorm hit...we drove around stalling for a hour and the rain just would not let up--so we went back home.  Eventually, the rain finished around 10 pm and the Bangles, GooGoo Dolls, Counting Crows, Jack's Mannequin, Jackyl and Buckwheat Zydeco went on without me.  My friends that went down earlier got completely soaked.  Overall, a great week of music.

Bookies--I will work to get the booking contact info for Summerfest 2007.  I know that the Romantics would enjoy playing there again--they played there twice in the mid-'80's.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 7:44am

this sounds like an awesome time brew!!
yes, we need to work on getting the  romantics booked for the next one!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #26 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 6:02am

OK, Summerfest 2007 starts tomorrow  Smiley, (without the Romantics  Sad).  Here are just a few of the bands lined up:

Social Distortion, Live, Violent Femmes, Wolfmother, Sum 41, Fuel, Def Leppard, Shiny Toy Guns, Silversun Pickups, the Fray, OK Go, James Hunter, Sister Hazel, George Thorogood, Roger Waters, Foreigner, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Heart, the Wailers, the Family Stone, John Mayer, Ben Folds, War, Randy Travis, AFI, Tool, the Black Crowes, Arrested Development, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Local H, Los Lonely Boys, Plain White T's, Bon Jovi, Rusted Root, Sevendust, B.B.King, Spoon, Dashboard Confessional, Morris Day & the Time, Frampton, Chevelle, Panic! at the Disco, Guster, Collective Soul, the Old 97's, the New Cars, Papa Roach, Toby Keith, the Gufs, INXS, Blue October, etc., etc.........

I will be going down there probably 8 or 9 of the 11 nights (and a few afternoons).  When the dust settles, and I check out of Betty Ford, I'll bring you some recaps.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 10:14pm

The World's Greatest Music Festival returns--June 25-July 5, 2009....the lineups are set and include:  Elvis Costello, No Doubt, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Bon Jovi, Earth Wind & Fire, Rancid, Matthew Sweet, Meat Puppets, Loverboy, Conor Oberst, Robin Trower, Lee Rocker, The Offspring, Saliva, Keith Urban, Counting Crows, Felix Cavaliere (of the Rascals), Barenaked Ladies, BoDeans, Cowboy Mouth, Stevie Wonder, John  Legend, Sister Hazel, Better Than Ezra, The Outlaws, Blues Traveler, George Strait, Spoon, the Gufs, Heart, Chicago, the Wailers, Buddy Guy, Joan Jett, Billy Squier, STS9, Foghat, Rusted Root, Los Lonely Boys, Paramore, Guster, Shiny Toy Guns, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Matisyahu, Train, Kenny Chesney, Lita Ford, The Roots, Shinedown, the Fray, Jack's Mannequin, Flogging Molly, Huey Lewis and the News, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Reel Big Fish, the English Beat, Jet, and many many more.  I'm taking the week off of work so I can stay down there until midnight pretty much every night.

www.summerfest.com

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #28 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 1:03am

We should all write in and ask where The Romantics are in that line-up!!!  Who dropped the ball on that one??

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #29 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 1:39am

We've gotta get them back there.  The Romantics played Summerfest 2 or 3 times to really good crowds in their heyday in the '80's.  Hell, if the 'Fest is booking Huey Lewis & the News, Billy Squier, Lee Rocker, Robin Trower, Loverboy, the Outlaws, Foghat, Joan Jett, Whitesnake, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lita Ford, etc. etc..............why not the Romantics??????

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.