Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Milwaukee Summerfest (Read 3956 times)
BrewCity
Ex Member

Milwaukee Summerfest
Jun 25th, 2004 at 4:45am

The World's Greatest Music Festival starts today!  Eleven days, twelve stages, noon to midnight on the lakefront.  Lotsa great food & cold beer, plenty of great bands.

Tonight:  Prince, Liz Phair, OK Go, The Darkness, Seether, Night Ranger, Burden Brothers, etc.

Tomorrow:  Kid Rock, Puddle of Mudd, Dion, Guster, Ben Folds, etc.

Others this week:  Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne, Steve Miller, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bo Deans, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Blink 182, Kool & the Gang, Loverboy, Frampton, Los Lobos, the Ataris, Dashboard Confessional, 311, Rick Springfield, the Roots, Rooney, Jet, Fuel, Live, etc. (lots more)

Something for every musical taste.  Check it out at www.summerfest.com.  If I'm not around much between now and July 5th, it's because I'm rockin' the fest.  

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Re: Milwaukee Summerfest
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 5:05am

I am so jealous Brew!!  You will have to keep us updated on which shows you see and give us some reviews.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 7:37am

i am so jealous too brew!!!!!
live are playing the 26th and i wish i could be there to see them! ???

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 8:25pm

OK, last night, I got there kinda late, but did catch OK Go and Liz Phair.  Both rocked the chill right out of the air (it got down to the low 50's).  Liz Phair is a pretty cool chick; she's really got some great songs and a great attitude (not bad lookin' either).  I also caught "The Big Bang" fireworks.  Spectacular and extra loud!

I'm cuttin' outta work at noon to go down there today for some sunshine and afternoon reggae.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 8:59am

brew, be sure to post a few lines monday morning to let us all know how the music was.
i am particularly interested in whether or not you saw live since it looks like i wont be going to see them tuesday.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 8:57pm

I did not see Live on Saturday, but my friend did, and he said they were excellent...huge crowd, everyone was rocked.  I caught a few songs from Dion ("Runaway")...he & his band sounded good, but the crowd was VERY old (mostly in their 60s-70s).  Everyone was seated.  I also saw Bob Schneider, a singer/songwriter type whose show was very lively and fun.  Nobody was seated.  Last night Fountains of Wayne played a great set through the rain.  The rain kept the crowd small, but they have so many great songs, I just love that band.

Tonight, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and Morris Day & the Time.  Tomorrow, if I make it, Cheap Trick & Burning Spear.

IP Logged

Tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 4:54pm

Anyone going to see Rick Springfield? He is great fun (remember his tour with the Romantics)...his guitar 'girl' bit is FAB!!!

Lin

(hey, I'm a sucker for a dark hair musician...)   Tongue

IP Logged

Tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 5:01pm

Go see the Ataris!!!! 

Any band that can cover The Eagles, Boys of Summer so FAB (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is worth seeing   8)  Don Henley can not even touch this guy on his own song...

Linda

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 6:54pm

speaking of rick springfield, i have 2 funny stories that involve him.
when i moved out to LA in 1974, guess who lived in the same apartment building as we did?  yep, rick springfield.  when we were just out there to see the romantics, i drove by my old apartment and it is still there with the same ralph's supermarket on the corner!
also, rick springfield had a detroit boy playing guitar for him?
paul kingery was his name.
there is that 6 degress of separation again.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 9:10pm

Rick Springfield is here Saturday night, and I'm planning on going.  The Ataris are here Thursday...if I can get out of my softball games, I'll see them too.

Last night I saw Joan Jett & the Blackhearts.  We wedged down into the 2nd row toward the center...there was an overflow crowd and she was really rockin!  It's great to see her at 43 still rockin' like it was her first tour.  Highlights included "Crimson & Clover", "Bad Reputation" and her punked up "Love is all Around" (theme from the Mary Tyler Moore Show).  I don't care if she is a lesbian.  She's still got it.

After that, what was left of my eardrums caught the last half hour of Morris Day & the Time.  We lucked out because he saved "The Bird" and "Jungle Love" for the end.  The Time is not as tight as they used to be, but Morris and his sidekick Jerome still have the moves and the velvet suits and can always get the crowd movin'.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 4:25am

Did you happen to catch Blink 182? I was lucky enough to know somone who got me front row when they came to town and they rocked.

Get a chance to check out STYX?

The Ataris would be sweet to see.. they haven't been touring that much, so your're lucky!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 4:56am

I missed blink182 last night, but saw them 2 or 3 years ago (when Enema of the State came out).

Styx is here tomorrow, but I doubt if I'll see them with all of the great retro bands there at the same time (Pat Benatar, Loverboy, The Fixx, Kool & the Gang, Gin Blossoms, and Colin Hay).  I did see Styx a few years ago, and it was The Worst of Times.

I am hoping to catch the Ataris on Thursday.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:13am

Brew, I hope you get to catch The Fixx.  I love that band.  And you have to see Pat Benetar.  Gosh, I am so jealous.  There are so many great bands there.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 6:04pm

if you get to catch the gin blossoms, please let us know how they were.  also i just saw that better than ezra were there too.  they are another one of my guilty pleasures.  i cannot believe the line up for this thing.  almost makes one want to move to milwaukee just for the summerfest!!! Wink

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 11:15pm

Quote:
almost makes one want to move to milwaukee just for the summerfest!!! Wink
There is no better place to be on the planet than Milwaukee in the Summertime.  The Summerfest lineup is equally impressive every year.  I encourage anyone who has the chance to make the trip to Milwaukee for Summerfest at least once before you die.  It's every year, eleven days over 4th of July.  If it's too late to plan this year's visit, next year it's on for June 30-July 10, 2005.

It is a blast.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.