Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Seen Any Good Movies Lately? (Read 12080 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Seen Any Good Movies Lately?
Jun 19th, 2004 at 6:08am

ok, so i am a little late on this one but i finally saw Mystic River last night.  why did this movie get such great reviews?  i just didnt think it was that great.  i thought the story was weak and i thought sean penn did a betting job of acting in 21 grams.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Re: Seen Any Good Movies Lately?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:31am

Hey Bookies,

Some of the movies I've seen in the past month:

Mona Lisa Smile -- It was good.  (Definitely more of a chick flick.) The social commentary about the times was rather interesting as well.

Along Came Polly -- I thought it was pretty funny!  If you like Ben Stiller's kind of physical comedy, then you'll probably like it.

The Commander -- It was pretty good, kind of gory at times, but I guess you have to be true to the ravages and reality of war during the period (amputations, surgery under less than ideal circumstances, etc.)

Troy --  Hmmmm muscle male bodies... what more can a woman ask
for... lots of "eye candy" for the ladies!  I never read the Iliad, so I'm
not sure how "true" to the story  the movie was.  Yes, a bit gory at times, too.  It was a little weird to see "Boromir" from Lord of the Rings and Orlando Bloom (Legolas, from LOTR).  Seems that Orlando Bloom has put his archery "skills" from LOTR to work in Troy as well.

Timeline -- I usually like sci fi movies.  This one was okay, but way too much "suspenseful" music going on... (i.e. every scene had that "something's about to happen" type of suspense music, which got sort of boring after a while... I thought the movie seemed more like a TV show than a movie.)

Kill Bill -- It was okay, but I've decided I'm not really a big fan of Quentin Tarantino and his strange sense of humor (even though I understand that he was trying to be "cartoony" and "comic bookish" and using "Manga" (Japanese Cartoons) as a way of telling the story...). It was pretty gory and violent at times (especially the very first scene). Then again, I wasn't overly excited about "Pulp Fiction" either....

Girl with a Pearl Earring -- If you like art, then you'll like this film.  The movie is apparently based upon a book and about the a painting by Vermeer.   The cinemetography is lush-- every scene almost has the feel of a painting... (I'm not familiar with many of his works, but there may be references to a few paintings via the scenes in the movie.)  What's most interesting to me is that much of the movie is not told through actual dialogue, but "looks" and "glances" and body language between the actors & actresses.

Frida -- A film about artist, Frida Kahlo, who was the lover of Diego Rivera.  I re-watched this movie on DVD (I saw it when it first came out in the theatres)  and am still amazed at the cinematography-- the director shot a lot of "re-enacted" dramatizations of Frida Kahlo's paintings.  The resulting images are breathtakingly "real" and fool the eye into believing you are looking at a Kahlo painting, vs. a person in 3-D. You can also see the pain an anguish Frida had to endure throughout her life, as well as her relationships with Diego Rivera, her family, and the other men and women in her life.

Cowboy Bebop - a Japanese Anime film.  Very interesting artwork, the story was a bit bizarre. It was interesting to hear the movie in English and then to read the subtitles...I think they subtitled the Japanese and then translated the spoken dialogue to English-- at any rate, the written and spoken English sometimes were 2 different interpretation of the same scene.

Can't remember what else I've seen-- it all runs together after a while... LOL

--Iris

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:40am

Oh yes, I also saw "A Walk on the Moon", which has been out for a while. (With Viggo Mortensen and Diane Lane).

I'm a huge Viggo (LOTR) fan....so I really liked the 1st 1/2 of the movie; the 2nd half was considerably darker in nature due to the subject matter....

I haven't seen Mystic River-- still have a lot of movies on my "to see" list:

the newest Harry Potter movie
The Stepford Wives
Dodge Ball  looks kind of funny as well.
I'm looking forward to "King Arthur" when it comes out-- I absolutely love to watch Arthurian movies and to read King Arthur novels...

My hubby and I usually like to watch comedies, sci-fi movies, and historical period films... I'm really not one for watching horror films (I'm a big chicken when it comes to scary movies--although I do want to watch the Scary Movie 2 & Scary Movie 3....we saw Scary movie 1   Cheesy )

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 5:26am

wow iris!!!
thanks for reminding me about Frida.  that is one i will definately watch.
truthfully, i hate sitting through movies. 
i did also watch City of God with portuguese subtitles which was a frightening look at life in Brazil. 
for the most part, i dont watch movies for entertainment.   i tend to shy away from comedies, sci-fi, chick flicks or movies with tom cruise or brat pitt.

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:40am

Who has time for movies?  Wish I did!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 7:22am

Quote:
wow iris!!!
thanks for reminding me about Frida.  that is one i will definately watch.
truthfully, i hate sitting through movies.  
i did also watch City of God with portuguese subtitles which was a frightening look at life in Brazil.  
for the most part, i dont watch movies for entertainment.   i tend to shy away from comedies, sci-fi, chick flicks or movies with tom cruise or brat pitt.

Well, to add to the list of "Artist" movies,
there's also:

Pollack (about Jackson Pollack-- the painter who did the drip painting)  It's rather "dark" film about his life, but then again, he was an alcoholic and mentally unstable, so obviously, these influenced his life and his relationships and works...

Camille Claudel (In French - w/subtitles)--This movie is about one of August Rodin's (sculptor) young "proteges" (and mistress), it is a fascinating look at her life as an artist in Rodin's shadow (in a time where women weren't really "allowed" to be artists.)  It's been a while since I've seen this movie, but I thought it was very interesting....

Bookies-- I can understand why you might shy away from Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise movies... I'm guessing you might have some other more mature favorite male actors? Smiley   I only go to "the movies" maybe 3 or 4 times a year.   However, I bought a "Blockbuster Movie Pass" for the summer, so I can watch as many movies as I can get my hands on (2 at a time.)  Smiley  I usally watch them in the evenings when other stuff has "wound down" for the day. Cheesy

I don't like horror films at all, and prefer to laugh or to learn something new vs. cry or be frightened at films (if you read my artist's statement, you will understand why--I chose to look at the positive side of things and to look at things that generally uplift me, vs. make me depressed....)  I also love looking at the historical costuming in some of the movies--the elaborate clothing and detailing really intrigue me when it comes to historical films... although I can't stand most "war films"-- I prefer the historical "war" films vs. the "in the trenches," WWII type of films in general.

That's also why I like the Romantics... because their songs have an "upbeat" sound (musically) to them. (I think my next series of paintings is going to be based upon their music.)

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 7:24am

Quote:
Who has time for movies?  Wish I did!

Maybe you and I and our hubbies should sneak out for a quick movie night sometime-- We're doing some remodeling/home improvement stuff as well... it would be nice to sneak away for a dinner and a movie sometime.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 7:46pm

Quote:
I'm guessing you might have some other more mature favorite male actors?

let's see, my favs are
johnny depp
edward norton
guy pearce
al pacino
willem dafoe
robert deniro

i guess you might call a couple of those "mature"
Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 2:56am

ReallY? Johnny Depp? I like him, too-- he is always in the more "quirky" movies....
Did you see Pirates of the Caribbean?  He was really funny in that one!

Oh, and a movie that is really touching is "Big Fish".... A Tim Burton film.... definiltely has that slightly odd feel to it, but hubby & I really liked it!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 3:06am

A few of my fave actors (some hotties, some notties)

Pierce Brosnan (The accent gets me every time!)
Alan Alda
Viggo Mortensen (LOTR!!!)
Johnny Depp
Brad Pitt -- I like his ability to slip into a variety of different roles....
Orlando Bloom (Okay, I confess, it's 'cuz he's a young hottie...LOL)
Robin Williams-- he has got to be the funniest guy ever...
Rob Schneider-- his movies are definitely comic, but I like how many of them have a little "moral of the story" in them.

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 12:11pm

I saw 13 going on 30 recently....yeah I know chick flick  Tongue   I must admit the movie was hilarious especially if you grew up in the 80s.  It of course had a good ending and all.  If you are up for a romantic comedy go see it.

I saw Van Helsing when it came out.  Not to bad, but I would wait to rent it.  Not all it was cracked up to be but not a failure as well.  If you have some spare time, when it comes out on DVD rent it.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 1:31pm

"Spartan" with Val Kilmer.
(written by David Mamet)
"Boris"

Looking forward to "Fahrenheit 9/11"
(if I ever get any free time)

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 8:16pm

Boris, you obviously prefer fictional films.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 8:26pm

i somehow knew the mention of that film would provoke some posts.
Shocked

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 3:09am

Quote:
I saw 13 going on 30 recently....yeah I know chick flick  Tongue   I must admit the movie was hilarious especially if you grew up in the 80s.  It of course had a good ending and all.  If you are up for a romantic comedy go see it.

I saw Van Helsing when it came out.  Not to bad, but I would wait to rent it.  Not all it was cracked up to be but not a failure as well.  If you have some spare time, when it comes out on DVD rent it.

I've heard some pretty poor reviews of the Van Helsing... sounds like you're  agreeing with that... Someone told me not to even bother renting it on video... I hear the special effects are okay though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.