May 27th, 2004 at 1:22am

and you think you have it bad:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040526045709990002&_ccc=5

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Re: Have You Heard?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:34am

I do have it bad.  I don't have an AOL Screen Name.  I can't read the link.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:36am

ok here is the story for those non-aolers'

SINGAPORE (May 26) - Ultra-tidy Singapore is lifting its notorious ban on chewing gum after 12 long years - but getting a pack won't be entirely hassle-free.

Wrigley's Orbit gum has just started appearing in pharmacies along with several other brands. Before Singaporeans even think about unwrapping a pack, however, they must submit their names and ID card numbers. If they don't, pharmacists who sell them gum could be jailed up to two years and fined $2,940.

The decision comes after new trade talks that included pressure from U.S. Rep. Philip Crane, R-Ill., whose state is home to gum giant Wrigley Co. Singapore has also been at pains in recent years to shed its "nanny state" image and promote itself as a hip, cosmopolitan hub for media and the arts in Asia.

But that has proven a difficult task in a country where films and television shows are often censored, home satellite TV antennae are banned and various books, magazines and even popular songs are outlawed. Fines are levied for spitting or failing to flush public toilets.

Singaporeans, many of whom have long derided the chewing gum ban, seemed unimpressed by the change.

"It's ridiculous that it's easier for 16-year-olds to visit prostitutes than it is to get chewing gum here," said Fayen Wong, a 22-year old college student. Prostitution is legal in parts of Singapore - and no registration is required.

This Southeast Asian city-state, known for its immaculate streets, outlawed the manufacture, import and sale of chewing gum in 1992 after the country's founding father, Lee Kuan Yew, complained that it was fouling streets, buildings, buses and subway trains.

Lee, 80, stepped down as prime minister in 1990 but still wields considerable influence.

Gum became a sticking point months ago in Singapore's free trade talks with Washington, when Crane pressed the issue.

Singapore compromised, agreeing to allow only the sale of "therapeutic" gum in pharmacies, and the free trade pact took effect Jan. 1.

The Health Sciences Authority, responding to questions from The Associated Press, said it has allowed the sale of 19 "medicinal" and "dental" gum products.

Orbit, which Wrigleys touts as good for teeth, hit pharmacy shelves just days ago. Pfizer Inc.'s Nicorette, a nicotine gum meant to help smokers kick their addiction, has been available since March.

Nicorette costs $11 for a pack of 30 pieces. A pack of Orbit goes for 94 cents.

"Why would I go through the trouble of getting nicotine gum if I can buy a pack of cigarettes without giving my name?" said Wong. "I don't think the new rules will help smokers to quit."

The Straits Times newspaper, which has close government ties, reported Sunday that street cleaners have already complained about the return of spent wads of chewing gum to their once pristine pavement.

Critics of restrictions have often cited the chewing gum ban as an example of the government's excesses.

But the partial legalization of gum is "really a nonevent," said Koh Beng Liang, 25, a research engineer who said he hasn't yet bothered having a legal chew.

"Singaporeans will quickly realize it if the so-called loosening up is for foreign image, and not real change," Koh said.

05/26/04 04:56 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2004 at 2:12am

Well, now they have gum AND prostitution.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2004 at 6:00am

Somehow the word "Chew" and Singapore seem redundant.
"Boris"

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2004 at 11:25am

ill chew to that......... Cheesy

i guess things arent that bad after all!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2004 at 6:18am

Oh yes they are Pirate...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040527/ap_on_fe_st/bickering_bozos

I was kind of hoping "Shakes" or "Krusty" would get in this year!
(is this the Milli Vanilli of The Clown Hall of Fame?)
"Yah Hey Dere! Are dese yers guyses famous clowns?
Criminy Pete, Cry Yi Yay!"
Next trip up to Brewtown I MUST visit!
"Boris"

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2004 at 6:21am

I dunno, Pinto Colvig as Bozo in the photo IS pretty creepy looking.
"Boris"

http://www.theclownmuseum.org/

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2004 at 7:09am

Quote:
and even popular songs are outlawed.  Nicorette costs $11 for a pack of 30 pieces. 

I wonder if "Nicorette Rarsen" gets airplay there?
"Boris"

IP Logged

One In A Million
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2004 at 7:11am

those Bozo pictures explain alot about my childhood now..................... I guess it's been repressed................

I may have nightmares tonight

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2004 at 5:20pm

Quote:
I wonder if "Nicorette Rarsen" gets airplay there?
"Boris"

I bet they have a "Lotta Love" for Nicorette over there.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2004 at 11:06am

After all, the name of this topic is...
Say What?
"Boris"

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040529/ap_en_mu/people_benetar_1

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2004 at 11:19am

A White Van?
C'mon, they should roll up in a Trojan Horse!
"Boris"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20040528/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_sweden_condom

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:40pm

The average child recognizes over 200 company logos by the time he enters first grade.

On EBay, there are an average of $680 worth of transactions each second.

Former keyboard player for Jethro Tull David Palmer is now a woman named Dee Palmer. He waited until his wife died before going through with his longtime desire for a sex change.

All polar bears are left handed.

The only member of the band ZZ Top without a beard has the last name Beard.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 1:34am

Quote:
A White Van?
C'mon, they should roll up in a Trojan Horse!
"Boris"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20040528/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_sweden_condom

The brainy, nerdy kids will wear out that phone number...imagine the image boost when the van makes a stop!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.