Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Meet The Romantics! (Read 4679 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Re: Meet The Romantics!
Reply #30 - May 29th, 2004 at 11:37pm

ok, some thoughts come to my mind while listening to these tracks:

why weren't the Romantics the "next" Beatles?

why did the original line-up have to change?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #31 - May 30th, 2004 at 11:58pm

Ok kids, here it is.  My long awaited review of “Meet the Romantics”.  Before I continue, let me offer a couple of disclaimers here:
I am not a musician, not musically inclined, not musically literate and probably more often than not, musically incorrect.  
I am however, a fan of the Romantics almost literally since day one.   I doubt that this review will be totally unbiased and without prejudice since it is my belief that the Romantics were one of the greatest bands to ever come along.
With that said, on to my review:
Tell It To Carrie—excellent choice as the first song on this cd.  This version is a little rawer (is that a word?) and edgier than the later “Carrie” that resurfaced on the first album.  I like this version, it places more emphasis on the back-up vocals which I always thought were a vital ingredient to their sound.
Runnin’ Away-ok, I must admit, this is one of my favorites on this cd.  The opening right away brought to mind a song by the Dovell’s called You Can’t Sit Down.  Oldfriend obviously recognized this connection or the band did because it follows Runnin’ Away on the live tracks.  Excellent song.
Let’s Swing-this is such a fun song.  I don’t know that I would completely call this in the Romantics genre.  It reminded me a lot of 50’ish music.
You Really Got a Hold of My Heart-well, what can I say about this one?  Jimmy Marinos on vocals I think speaks volumes.  
First In Line, Little White Lies, I Can’t Tell You Anything, Gimme One More Chance (all versions)-ok folks, if I had to pick songs that best exemplified the sound of the early Romantics and the true founding of “garage” sound, these would be them. This First in Line seems much faster than the later version.  I like this version.
I Can’t Tell You Anything features the thundering drums of Jimmy and to me, there is such a tribal sound to his drum kit in this early stuff.  This is one thing I miss about Jimmy’s presence.  Not to take anything away from Brad or Clem but Jimmy just seemed to be able to “tweak” that little something extra into his drumming.  Gimme One More Chance (1st  version)  seems to be a little slower in tempo than the later version but this one has a  definite “raunchy” sound to it.  Little White Lies features once again those back-up vocals that added so much to the sound of the Romantics.
No Responsibilities- I LOVE this song.  Why do I feel like New Kinda Pain is almost a distant cousin of this song?Mike on vocals just adds a different dimension to the sound altogether and really makes me wonder why he doesn’t showcase his talent more often.
Stick Around-Quite honestly, I did not know this song.  It had a “Beatles” feel though.
Stop Foolin’ Around-this is another of my favorites.  It has a sound that is somewhat of a combination of the early Yardbirds and the Knack. I hear a little Tinker, Tailor influence on this track.
I Hope That You Are Satisfied-this is another one that I didn’t recall.  When I first listened to this, I must admit, this was probably my least favorite of all.  Now about 20 times later, it has grown on me and I truly appreciate the guitar work of Mike and the bass work of Rich.

In a nutshell, I think the Romantics were about 30 years ahead of the times creatively speaking and in my opinion, there is no garage sound today that can exude such raw, unrefined, pure, natural rock & roll as Meet the Romantics!
Great job oldfriend!

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #32 - May 31st, 2004 at 2:57am

Thanks for the review Bookie!  Now I want a copy more than ever!  Cry  Even though I have some of the versions that are listed, I want to hear the unreleased stuff.

Oldfriend, if you didn't get my message... please add me to the list of customers!

Tim

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #33 - May 31st, 2004 at 3:26am

To me, the only other album that has such a raw, pure, unrefined, natural  rock and roll feel right now is 61/49. I see some similarities between the two in the raw edged gritty sound.

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #34 - May 31st, 2004 at 10:55am

Oldfriend, please add me to the potential list also.  Let us know what we need to do to get a copy of this.  I have heard alot over the years about the song "you've really got a hold of my heart," and I look forward to finally get the chance to hear it.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - May 31st, 2004 at 9:54pm

ok old buddy....how can us super fans get are ears on this......gotta must have..... Undecided..<----super fan here

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #36 - May 31st, 2004 at 9:56pm

thanks for the reweiw bookies.....curious minds are wondering cuz you did a great job on teasing us....we
want to hear it too Undecided.....so we can give our review Wink

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #37 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:35pm

Yes, and I will gladly send a blank CD with a self-addressed, stamped envelope in order to get a copy ASAP. I am absolutely beside myself with anticipation. Aaauugh! I can't stand the pain!! (Oops ...)  Smiley

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #38 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 12:26pm

We are all on edge and can't wait to hear this.  I am drooling over here  Grin

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #39 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 1:09am

Plllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee include me in mailing!!!  I have been a loyal fan since before I was a legal age to SEE The Romantics. 

THANKS SO MUCH,

Lori (PA)

IP Logged

Francine
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #40 - Jun 5th, 2004 at 6:06am

one for me please.............. Cheesy

Francine

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #41 - Jun 5th, 2004 at 8:14am

oldfriend....you have the hottest thread at the romantics site.....we sure are all in limbo on how good this cd sounds Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 2:43pm

Count me in too...please...   Smiley

Linda

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #43 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 11:34am

Has anything come of this?  Just curious since the thread hasn't been replied to for a bit.

IP Logged

Tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 1:08pm

Quote:
Has anything come of this?  Just curious since the thread hasn't been replied to for a bit.  

Eager/inquiring minds are wondering what the status is...

Lin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.