Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
CALIF WILDFIRES (Read 6132 times)
PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

CALIF WILDFIRES
Oct 27th, 2003 at 10:47am

Undecided.....this is just horrible.....devistating......just the next county over is burning out of control.......my house and vehicles are covered with heavy ash......the sky has been a dark heavy grey and the scent.it is sickening  and so sad to see that beatiful land, homes and people who have lost there lives.....to my understand 500 homes have been lost......15 people have died......the wildlife that has lost is live......and to my understanding it was caused by a arsonist.......what the pirate would do to this person or persons......i cant describe what i would do....censered discription..... Angry......pirate venting

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Re: CALIF WILDFIRES
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2003 at 5:26pm

My sister lives out there in Simi Valley.  When I watch this on the news I can't believe someone would actually be so cruel as to start these fires.  This is a shame and Pirate, I hope you stay safe.

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 12:57am

We are on evacuation standby as I speak, and I worked a 15 hour overtime shift last night as a result of the fires. Unbelievalbe damage all around San Diego county.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
YaBB Newbies

NC
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 1:11am

It is so horrible.  Pirate and Rob,  I pray that you guys stay safe. Bookies, any word from your sister?  Will she have to evacuate?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 1:15am

We talked to her Saturday and as of then, no.  Rob are you a firefighter or something?  I know all of our prayers are with you and everyone who has been affected by this devastation.   Cry

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 5:43am

My thoughts are with all of you out there.  Please stay safe.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 9:40am

pirate is safe from danger.....sounds like rob is right on the edge of this disaster.......i also have a sister in san diego but she is more by the coast.......san bernardino 35 to 40 miles aways from the pirate.....so mr pirate is safe......the ashes have traveled with lite wind in all......think pieces of it.....my white truck was black.....but enough of pirate lil things.....just the tought of what the familys losing there homes and everything that goes along with that makes me sick.....my prays go out to robs and all residents out in san diego that also have there big blaze going......i dont know if arson is involved with san diego but it makes my tummy turn.......bookies you have a sis in diego?......how is she?

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 9:43am

thanks bookies and imk.......i just noticed bookies your sister is in simi valley

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 10:28am

Wow.  Rob and Pirate and others out in your area-- take care....  one of my best friends lives near Upland...

Hopefully it will get under control soon.... hopefully you ane your family and friends out there stay safe... Smiley

Keep posting (when you can)--then we will know you are safe...

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 10:35am

gosh upland is not far from the fires......im sure they are safe but  they are gettin alot of smoke and ash...gosh i hope they get control and get all these fires and get them out......i believe there are 7 total fires burning right now..... Cry

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

:)Re: CALIF WILDFIRES
Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 11:57am

All safe and sound!!   Smiley

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 12:05pm

Thank Goodness!!!  we would be very  upset if we found out something bad had happened to any of our friends out in Cali!

IP Logged

gbabyjr
YaBB Newbies

NC
Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 4:38pm

Good to hear, Rob........Keep us posted.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2003 at 6:36pm

Rob, are you a firefighter?  On your previous post you said you had worked a 15 hour overtime shift so I figured you might be someone on the front line of these fires.
I sure wish we could give you guys some of the rain we have had here in the Midwest in the past few days.

I just heard on the Today show that they have 2 suspects that they are looking for as maybe being the arsonists.  These guys need to be taught a hard lesson when they catch them.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2003 at 10:36am

they need to walk the plank Angry........1200 homes lost in all fires.......san bernardinos fire is moving up the mountain towards big bear and lake arrowhead......so many memories up there......so depressing to see this taking place

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 29th, 2003 at 8:03pm

Have they ruled out these fires being an act of terrorism?  It just seems so coincidental that so many fires have erupted at once and they have only 2 suspects.  I lived in CA in the mid 70's and it rained for a month straight it seemed like.  What are the weather people saying as far as the chance of rain coming soon?
California seems to be stricken with such disasters.  Earthquakes, mudslides, and now these wild fires.  So sad for all the people out there.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
YaBB Newbies

NC
Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 2:31am

Pirate and Rob, how are you guys doing out there?  Hope you all are safe.  Dennis, are you anywhere near the fires?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 3:05am

Yeah guys, please keep us updated on what is going on with you.  Linda too.  I think dennis mentioned that he is far enough from where the fires are that we don't have to worry about him but Pirate, Rob and Linda, please let us know that all is well.

I just saw on the news that they have the fires contained in Simi Valley which is where my sister lives.

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 5:07am

Thank you for your  concern.  Lincoln is in the Sacramento Valley, far away from the fires in Southern California.  We have been lucky here this year, suffering only smaller grass fires.  Hopefully the weather will make a major change soon and help douse the flames.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 7:10am

So glad you touched base with us dennis.  We do worry about our fellow board members.  Still waiting to hear from Pirate, Rob and Linda though.

Anyhow, glad to hear your safety is not threatened.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 11:19am

pirate is safe and sound......the only update i have from this morning is the fire in san bernardino move up to lake arrowhead with pirate went and loved the mountain resorts and beauty .....but more sdly see the people that have lost those beatiful homes that alot of them made from the ground up...... burned 250 or more homes.....i didnt have a full cup of coffee but it makes the pirate sad to see it all go away.....i need to catch up on todays events to update on these fires......im 45 mins away from the closiest fire and impossible to touch pirate so im safe.....i dont think rob is on alot so we will have to wait to see how he is.....linda i think is on a lil more then him but not daily......we all will have to be patient to hear about there safety........sounds like dennis and i are very safe

IP Logged

tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 12:34pm

I'm all clear in the SF Valley. I have 2 very close friends whom have lost homes (Simi Vly and near Big Bear) though.
Thanks...

Linda

IP Logged

gbabyjr
YaBB Newbies

NC
Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 5:05pm

Glad to hear Pirate and Dennis and Linda are all ok.  Linda, I am so sorry to hear that your friends lost their homes.  So sad.  My prayers go out to all.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 5:24pm

Yep, Pirate, dennis and Linda are thankfully ok.
Still would like to hear from Rob.  I think he is right in the worst of it in the San Diego area. 
Linda, so sorry for your friends.  I couldn't even imagine putting myself in their shoes.  I too will say a prayer for them.
I heard last night on the news that one of the fires was started by a hunter who had gotten lost and started a fire in hopes of someone seeing it and being rescued.  He is now charged with manslaughter.  Seems like a rather soft charge compared to the destruction and devastation that he has caused.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 9:04pm

I think Rob is probably working overtime during these fires.  Hopefully he and his family are okay as well...

Obviously, if your neighborhood is burning down, the last thing you probably would do would be to go online....  But, hopefully, those who are anywhere near it will come online eventually and let us know they are okay... Smiley 

Sorry to hear about your friends Linda.  I talked to my friend's brother.  So far she is out of range.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 9:30pm

The irony of the whole mess is that while some of these firefighters are doing their jobs, their very own homes are burning down.  Such a sad situation. Cry

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2003 at 10:02pm

That is true... hopefully their families will be able to evacuate and to save their memories in time.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - Nov 2nd, 2003 at 3:58am

20 dead and 2800 homes burned to the ground....yes a very sad situation......hope we hear from rob soon.....we have had rain here and that has had very ver positive impact to help the fire fighters......hope its 100% over soon.....prayers out to all the familys that have lost life and there belongings

IP Logged

tizlin
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2003 at 11:36am

Well, we have been blessed with rain and snow in some fire-areas. This really helps with the firefighting. However, it also means rockslides because of no groundcover combined with large amounts of water.
Us Califorians are tough! 

Linda

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Nov 2nd, 2003 at 7:37pm

Hopefully the worst is over.  Just keep praying for precipitation in ANY form!

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Nov 3rd, 2003 at 2:23am

This is one instance where any type of precipitation (rain Or SNOW) would be good.....

We hope it all dies down soon!

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #31 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 8:47am

i havent heard a new total yet on homes burned between all the fires which i believe there was 5 though out ca....last i heard it was 2800 and 20 dead.....i hope that number has not gone up......whats next an  Undecidedearthquake Undecided

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Nov 4th, 2003 at 6:07pm

I did hear a figure like 3500 homes destroyed.  Hopefully the worst is over.  Too little, too late for the 3500 families that lost everything and have to start over.     Sad

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #33 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 10:21am

yea....2800 was the last i heard when i posted.....number was expected to grow.....well the worst is over......now there is another concern though....he have rain coming and that means land slides...alot of them Undecided

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Nov 7th, 2003 at 6:46pm

Is it expected to rain that much?  Gosh, you guys can't seem to catch a break.  Please keep us updated Pirate!

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - Nov 11th, 2003 at 10:59am

we were expecting rain bookies.......it wasnt suppose to be a big storm but with the brush burned its very easy for the hill or muntain sides to give a way.....they were off on the forecast ....hardly saw a drop.....but in time with its storm season those areas will turn to mud and they will slide......no rain no slides

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #36 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 11:25am

last count heard was 3680 homes burned Undecided.......perhaps thats the finally tally......hope these things can be pervented in the future Undecided

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 6:14pm

That is a lot of families having to start over.  Very sad.  I can't believe that in this day and age of technology, they haven't come up with some sort of building material that is fireproof or something.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 8:37pm

In a way, sad though it is, I think this is "nature's way" of doing "natural selection"..... Humankind no longer has natural predators except itself... Those who can survive, will, those who don't know how to fend for themselves will eventually vanish... Sad   

It's a test of how adaptable humans are....

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Milwaukee

Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2003 at 3:03am

Quote:
 I can't believe that in this day and age of technology, they haven't come up with some sort of building material that is fireproof or something.

They have.  It's called stone.  Or brick. 

(I can get to be a real wise guy when  I have to wait too long for the Romantics store to open or for a tour to be announced.)  Wink

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2003 at 1:23pm

yes they do have materials to help pervent the sprend and all.......but for the mountains for example, its all about cabins and certain types of homes......they stay away forom the city look.......i dont think those materials fit well with what they build up there but maybe they will be more open to it now.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 8:04pm

sure wish rob would check in with us so we know he is ok.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #42 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 10:19am

Yes, I have called a  few people and have not heard back yet!  It is crazy.  My prayers our out there with everyone in CA.  Very, very sad.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2007 at 3:21am by solodka »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #43 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 12:23am

well since rob is posting, i guess we are to assume everything is ok in his neck of the woods!

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #44 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 11:37pm

Sorry guys.....I didnt see this post until now. Everything is ok with us, and I dont personally know anyone who lost their home. We were in no danger at all in the area we live. The fires were hit and miss due to heavy winds blowing the burning embers around. Some neighborhoods went untouched ,while the next block over was destroyed. Good thing the Santa Ana winds stopped Tuesday, or this thing would have been much much worse.  I was called into work on my day off on Monday morning, and we did mandatory 12 hour days until yesterday. I actually posted on the bard a few days ago while sitting in the office waiting for our next depolyment.  Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers!!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #45 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 2:17am

We are glad that you and your family are good and that no damage was done to your home!  That is always a blessing.  It's a very sad time.  In Hawaii now and just are seeing how people are taking advantage of people and exploiting victims of the fires!  Crazy!  It's always someone trying to take advantage of the unfortunate people in a tragedy!  Let's hope the Governor can keep things under control because I know first hand how it was after a hurricane!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #46 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 9:34am

An old bandmate of mine who is out there said the fires got to within four miles of where he lives, but he thinks he will be OK. He said the air smells smokey.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.