Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fear Fest at King's Island (Read 2423 times)
oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Fear Fest at King's Island
Oct 9th, 2003 at 8:57am

I have not posted in a while because I was out of town at Kings Island "Fear Fest". Outstanding! These haunted houses totally blow away anything that you will find around here(Detroit area). No comparison. They must also have hollywood caliber make up people because the creatures, mummys, vampires and everyone else just look so good.  Just dont do what we did. We had a few beers and then tried to get through the 3D circus of horrors haunted house. It really is in 3D. You have to wear the glasses and everything. With a buzz, it is almost impossible. What a riot. And of course, they have the 2 biggest fastest longest wooden rollercoasters in the world(the Beast and Son of Beast). It was a non stop party. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. It is still going on for the next 4 weekends.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Re: Fear Fest at King's Island
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 10:50am

Hi Old friend-- good to see you online again! 

I'd go, but I am the biggest chicken when it comes to haunted houses... bawk! bawk! bawk!

Roller coasters sound fun though!

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 6:32am

Was it even better than Cedar Point's Halloween festivities?  I have never been but my son loves haunted houses, horror movies etc..  Oh yea, where is King's Island?  When I first read your post, I was thinking you had gone there to ride the rides and it was pretty cold here for a few days.  Now that I know you went to the haunted houses, it makes more sense.  Anyhow, we are sooo glad you didn't fall out of the rollercoaster oldfriend!  You must remember to be careful when riding those rides!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 7:33am

Kings Island is near Cincinnati. It is WAY better than the Cedar Point halloween activities. When we were there the weather was warm enough to walk around in short sleeves during the day. I  have never been on a coaster that I didn't love!

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 9:54am

Hey, I think one of the fans on the yahoo group is from CIncinnati... Smiley

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2003 at 6:43am

That's a pretty long drive oldfriend.  I am not sure my son would like roller coasters or haunted houses enough to drive THAT far.  How come Bob-Lo Island closed.  Does anyone remember that place?  It was so much fun taking the ferry over.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2003 at 9:47am

I went to Bob-Lo many times since I was a kid. I am so glad that my sons were able to see it several times before it closed. We went every year for several years right up to the last year it was open, which I think was 93. It closed because some out of state idiots bought it and had a chance to make a nice profit by selling it for expensive homes. These fools did not care that this was a jewel for the Detroit area people for almost a century. I used to love the picnic area. There were three partners who bought it. One of the partners wanted to buy out the other two and keep it as an amusement park. He wanted to add more rides, a zoo, and a small outdoor theater for concerts. When he got into a car accident and was in a coma, the other two sold it to a developer who used it to build homes. After Bob-Lo closed, we started going to Kings Island and have been back every year. We went twice the last two years, once in the summer, and once for fear fest. I prefer this park by far over cedar point, the main reason being that if you go on a weekday, there are never huge crowds. The average wait for a ride is only a few minutes. By the evening, it is not unusual to just walk up and get right on, and they do have many killer rides there, especially the Beast, Son of Beast, the Vortex, Outer Limits Flight of Fear, and Drop Zone, which is considerably higher than the Power Tower at Cedar Point.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2003 at 8:58pm

I will have to relay this information to my son.  He is a thrill ride junkie.  I used to love them too in my younger days but now that I am almost a member of AARP, I find my heart can't withstand the excitement.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2003 at 1:39pm

My hubby and I got the opportunity to take the Bob-lo Boat over to the island once before it closed.  What a shame!

I saw a documentary on TV last summer (I think it was Eric Smith on Channel 4 or 7) about the Bob-Lo boats and how they are in an advanced state of decay.  Yes, Detroit lost another gem because of some people who value money over history....

I think I've been to Cinci once to King's Island.

Actually, Bookies, I think it's only about 3 hrs away-- not that much further than Cedar POint. Smiley  The last time I went was about 20 yrs ago-- I'm sure lots has changed since then.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2003 at 8:09pm

I wonder if the homes were ever really built or was that just another pipedream.  I think Canada actually owned the property and the US just leased it or something.   Yes, another case of the capitalist money grubbers wanting to ruin everything.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2003 at 8:11pm

If I remember correctly, Cincinnati is more like a 5 hour drive.  It is right on the Kentucky border.  We went to Kentucky last year and it seems to me that it took forever.  Maybe oldfriend can shed some light on this for us.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2003 at 10:04pm

There are definitely homes on Bob-Lo now. Very expensive homes. As far as King's Island, we drove very casually, NEVER exceeding the speed limit in Ohio(they are one of the worst for stopping out of state speeders), and we stopped a couple of times at rest areas along the way. We made it to our hotel in about 4 and a half hours. If you drove a little faster and did not stop as often as we did, you could probably get there in 4 hours or so. If anyone is considering going, let me know. I have a great hotel to recommend that is only about 15 minutes away from the park. It is too far to go and come back in one day. We always get a 2 day pass. Personally, I don't think one day is enough. Way too much fun.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2003 at 10:36pm

now that you mention it, I think you are right.  3 hours is only if you are a lead foot and asking for a ticket.  Ohio IS the worst state in terms of ticketing.. although Pennsylvania is not much better--they post the fines and I think if I remember correctly, in PA, they make you pay it on the spot!

Do you know when they close for the season?

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 2:37am

They are open every weekend, Saturday and Sunday, through November 1st and 2nd.

IP Logged

Iris
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 3:05am

Might be a fun road trip-- Nov. 1st is the Michigan /Michigan STate game-- as long as we have a place to watch the game, I'd go to the amusement park! (and as long as it's not freezing!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.